Thomas B. Alf| CFP®, CPA, CDFA
Clerestory Advisors, Inc.
- Financial Planning
- Retirement Planning
- Investment Management
- Wealth Management
- Portfolio Management
- Tax Planning
- Estate Planning
- Education Planning
- Employee Benefits
Mendota Heights, MN 55118
Fee-Only & Fiduciary
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country's leading association of fee-only and fiduciary financial planners.
Tom got his start in accounting and business as a CPA, controller and CFO before moving into financial planning. He discovered the corporate world was not a good fit for him. He wanted to help people, not corporations, improve their financial well-being. To earn his CFP® designation, he decided to pursue financial planning at the Carlson School of Management.
When the firm was founded over ten years ago, Tom chose the name Clerestory because financial planning, like architecture is an equally analytical and creative process. He feels passionately that client interests always come first. Clients appreciate informed, unbiased guidance during the decision making process. Clerestory provides true comprehensive planning which is far more than just managing investments.
Tom and his wife, Karen, have lived in St. Paul since graduating from the University of Illinois, Champaign/ Urbana. They both enjoy an active lifestyle of biking, walking, swimming and travel, especially visiting their adult children. Their oldest, Liz, lives in Chicago and joined Tom in the summer of 2015 at Clerestory as a financial planning professional. Liz’s passion is helping others whether they are the high school science students she taught for the past nine years or helping Clerestory clients. Their son David works in Los Angeles as an architect for a large architecture firm. His passion is designing buildings and photography.
Tom is still trying to talk his wife Karen into getting a dog. In the interim, Tom’s brother Bob has graciously allowed him to have his dog Isabel, a tri black Australian Shepherd, for weekend overnights. Tom will keep trying for that new dog to give Isabel a playmate.
B.S., Accountancy, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Financial Planner
Certified Divorce Financial Analyst
Financial Planning Association
Collaborative Law Institute
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants
National Association of Tax Professionals
Clerestory Advisors have your best interests at heart. We take our fiduciary responsibility to you seriously and will never accept any referral fees or compensation for the purchase of financial product. We are fee-only advisors serving your needs with no conflicts of interest.
At Clerestory, the relationships we build with our clients are lasting. Taking the time to get to know you and what you want to accomplish in life is important to us. Our clients tell us that:
- We bring order to their financial life - We help them develop financial/life goals; and provide a summary of their assets, investments, cash flow, insurance coverage and estate plan needs.
- We help them follow through on financial commitments - We meet regularly to track progress on retirement/college savings goals, maintain a diversified investment portfolio and keep wills, trusts and power attorney documents up to date.
- We bring outside, objective insight to help them avoid emotionally based money decisions - For example, staying in the stock market during market downturns, starting a new business or deciding whether to buy a second home.
- We help them anticipate and prepare for life transitions - While life transitions are unique to each client, we often help plan for life after full time work, disability or death of one spouse or making a career change.
- We help educate them around financial issues and decisions needed to succeed and reach their goals - We find many clients want to better understand the implications of wills, trusts and beneficiary designations, when to take social security benefits or perhaps, when to exercise company stock options.
We work with you, not just for you, to help you reach your financial and life goals. We encourage your input, ideas and participation as we both continually refine and work towards the vision of how you want to live your life.