Moisand Fitzgerald Tamayo, LLC
Fee Only Financial Advisor Serving Orlando, FL, Melbourne, FL and Clients Nationwide
Dan Moisand, is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional and regarded by many as one of America’s top financial advisors. He works from offices in Melbourne and Orlando, Florida. He is a happily married father of two great kids.
Retirees and those approaching retirement will have a hard time finding a firm better equipped to serve them and their families than Moisand Fitzgerald Tamayo and Dan is part of why that is the case. You can get glimpses of his expertise and thought processes by reading some of his writings. For the general public, he currently produces a monthly Q&A for Florida Today and the weekly Q&A as a “Retirementor” for MarketWatch, a personal finance site of the Wall Street Journal. You may access many of his most recent MarketWatch columns through his author page.
The press and the financial planning profession rely on him for answers as well. He is a frequent source to a variety of publications and media and has appeared in Smart Money, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and USA Today among others. He has produced dozens of columns for the Journal of Financial Planning and Financial Advisor magaine. He has also produced several pieces for Financial Planning, Investment Advisor, and Space Coast Business. He has even been published in Niewuwsbrief financiele planning (Netherlands) and on Network FP (India). He is the only two time winner of the Journal of Financial Planning‘s Call for Papers competition.
He is tapped for his expertise and opinions so often because of the career he has had.
Dan has over 22 years of experience but recognition began in 2002 when he was dubbed a “Future Star” by Financial Advisor magazine and made Worth magazine’s list of the top 250 Advisors in America. In subsequent years, he was named one of the most influential professionals in financial planning in a ”Movers and Shakers” issue of Financial Planning and twice more received similar honors from Investment Advisor and Accounting Today. He has been lauded as one of America’s top financial planners in Financial Advisor, Florida Today, Investment News, Journal of Financial Planning, Research, Solutions, Wealth Manager, and the Wall Street Journal Online.
More recently, for its 15th anniversary issue in June of 2013, Investment News named Dan one of the 15 people that “transformed the business of financial advice”. He was the subject of a “10 Questions” interview in the April 2013 issue of the Journal of Financial Planning and a profile in the November 2012 issue of Financial Planning magazine. The pieces touch on a few of his career highlights, travels, advocacy for the financial planning profession, and expertise in retirement planning.
Moisand’s record as a financial planner and a leader within the financial planning profession made him the subject of a two-page profile in The History of Financial Planning (Wiley & Sons, 2009) and at just 44 years of age, he was mentioned as a notable in the Lifetime Achievement category of Financial Planning magazine’s 2011 Influencer Awards.
All of these accolades stem from the work he has done to increase professionalism among financial planners and the respect peers show him for how he works with clients. From 1999-2001, he served on the CFP Board of Practice Standards, helping to write the standards that apply to CFP licensees in the United States. In 2007, Dan completed five years of service on the national Board of Directors of the Financial Planning Association (FPA), including serving as its President and Chairman. In 2008, he was Chairman of the Discipline and Ethics Commission of the CFP Board, hearing misconduct cases involving CFP licensees and the standards he helped establish.
In May of 2013, he Chaired the task force organizing FPA Retreat in Palm Springs, CA. Retreat is one of Dan’s favorite conferences at which to speak or to attend and is FPA’s premiere meeting for the best and brightest thought leaders in the profession. Dan shares freely with his peers. His friendly style has garnered him speaking engagements to planner groups on five continents. On behalf of FPA, he has led delegations of financial planners to Russia (2008), China (2011), and India (2013).
Through 2015, he will be serve the financial planning profession as a Trustee of the Foundation for Financial Planning which supports pro bono planning programs throughout the US, many of which serve military families.
Dan received his Bachelor of Science in Finance from Florida State University in 1989.
Dan Moisand is a Member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country’s leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors - highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
NAPFA members live by three important values:
- To be the beacon for independent, objective financial advice for individuals and families.
- To be the champion of financial services delivered in the public interest.
- To be the standard bearer for the emerging profession of financial planning
We can’t know what the future holds, but preparing a sound financial plan can help to ensure you will be ready for whatever lies ahead. Uncertainty in the financial markets makes having an advocate for your family’s unique interests even more essential. In a world where conflicts of interest and poor strategies abound, we have created a sanctuary offering stability and a reliable source of truly independent, objective advice for families.
- We are caring. While we work on portfolios and other financial matters, we work for individuals and families.
- We are independent fiduciaries. We work for no one but our clients, and our legal obligations are to our clients’ interests first and foremost. We never “switch hats” to become sales people.
- We are objective. We may recommend, or not recommend, any investment from any source. We receive no compensation based upon the sale or purchase of any particular products. All products are evaluated based solely upon their merits or lack thereof and not on any compensation incentives.
- We are disciplined. We evaluate financial products, investment opportunities, and strategies with a healthy dose of skepticism that has often helped our clients improve their prospects for success by avoiding overlooked risks and unnecessary costs.
- We are investors, not speculators. We manage our clients’ investment portfolios but we do not “play the market,” try to time the market or otherwise gamble with our client’s money.
- We are proactive. We scour the economic, tax, and market environments to identify opportunities to shore up financial weaknesses without lessening strengths.
- We are realistic. We do not believe in following investment gurus. We consider the mainstream financial media as mostly a source of entertainment and not a meaningful aid to sound decision-making.
- We are well-qualified. Our team has six CFP® professionals working for you, and the resumes of our principals speak for themselves. Ron Tamayo is a member of the Editorial Review Board for the Journal of Financial Planning. Charles Fitzgerald, III served as President of the FPA of Florida and Dan Moisand recently was national President and Chairman of the Financial Planning Association (FPA).
- We are experienced. We have guided our clients through bubbles and busts, bull markets and bear markets, hype and hysteria, all while helping them make sound decisions regarding their retirement plans, taxes, education expenses, estate plans, trust management, risk management, stock options, health care needs and whatever else has arisen.
Fee-Only, Fiduciary, Independent: Three Important Criteria to Consider When Choosing a Financial Advisor.
- Comprehensive Financial Planning
- Retirement Income Planning
- Investment Management
- Tax Planning
- Retirees and Near Retirees
- Sudden Money Situations
- Novice Investors
- In-Office Meetings
- Virtual Meetings
- Clearly Defined Fees
- No Product Sales
- Complimentary Initial Consultation
Professional Designations & Affiliations
Dan Moisand is a NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country’s leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors—highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
Dan Moisand is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional - Click for Verification
CFP® professionals are held to strict ethical standards to ensure financial planning recommendations are in your best interest. What’s more, a CFP® professional must acquire several years of experience related to delivering financial planning services to clients and pass the comprehensive CFP® Certification Exam before they can use the CFP® designation.
Dan Moisand is a member of The Financial Planning Association® (FPA®)
FPA® is the largest membership organization for CFP® professionals in the U.S. and supports high standards of professional competence, ethical conduct, and clear, complete disclosure when serving clients.
Contact Dan Moisand
200 South Orange Avenue Suite 2025
Orlando, FL 32801
6767 N. Wickham Road
Melbourne, FL 32940