Managing Partner and Lead Advisor
Managing Partner and Lead Advisor
As a fee-only financial planner, my focus is to offer unbiased financial advice to help you achieve your life goals. - Matthew Brock, CFP®
Fee-Only financial planner located in Bethesda, MD, serving clients locally in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC and across the country
Our independent financial advisory firm diverges from other financial planners because we focus on more than just your investment portfolio. Our collaborative ensemble approach means that each specialist of our financial team plays a role in your plan, which encompasses all aspects of your financial life, including savings, expenses, retirement, investments, Social Security, and taxes. We support our ensemble approach with systems thoughtfully designed to be nimble and help make sure the next actions in our relationship with you are already planned, which leads to accountability and follow-through. We do not consider your financial plan as a static document and will adapt it alongside the changes in your life.
Matt Brock has spent his entire career helping people navigate the changes in their life through comprehensive financial planning. As a Lead Advisor, the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional gets to know each client personally as well as their goals, and creates and implements the financial planning strategies to help them reach those goals. As Managing Partner, he creates the firm’s vision, implements the processes to reach that vision, and ensures the firm remains in compliance with federal and state regulations.
With a degree in math and economics, Matt has always had an analytical mind. He knew early on that he wanted to apply that mind-set to a career in financial services. He quickly realized that he could have the most impact by focusing on a client’s entire financial life. He relishes the systematic problem solving he applies in integrating the whole picture of a client’s finances in reaching their goals. And he counts starting Divergent Planning as his most satisfying career moment.
Matthew Brock is a Member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is a leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors - highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
NAPFA members live by three important values:
- To be the beacon for independent, objective financial advice for individuals and families.
- To be the champion of financial services delivered in the public interest.
- To be the standard bearer for the emerging profession of financial planning.
At Divergent Planning, we provide financial planning that evolves with your life. Based in Bethesda, Maryland, we are an independent Registered Investment Advisory firm partnering with mid-career professionals, pre-retirees, and federal government employees in Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, and nationwide. We offer:
1. Fee-only, fiduciary services: As an RIA, we are legally obligated to put your best interests first. As a fee-only advisor, we avoid conflicts of interest by refusing to accept commissions for the services or products we recommend.
2. Adaptable financial planning: To have an impact, financial planning should be an ongoing project that adjusts to the transitions of your life.
3. Ensemble approach: Not only will you work with a lead advisor, but you will also receive the expertise of a team of advisors, so that the full breadth of your needs and goals are addressed.
4. Transparency: Our fee-only structure means you will always know what you are paying for, and our technology will provide you a real-time picture of your finances whenever and wherever you want it.
5. Accountability: We have developed processes so that you have the comfort of knowing that your next action items and next meeting are always on the calendar.
6. Tax planning: We draw on our in-house expertise to integrate tax strategies with your overall financial plan, such as retirement account distribution strategies, tax loss harvesting, maximizing of deductions, and Roth conversions.
7. Planning for the long term: We have attained leading industry credentials so that we can better serve you, including the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification.
Fee-Only, Fiduciary, Independent: Three Important Criteria to Consider When Choosing a Financial Advisor.
- Comprehensive Financial Planning
- Retirement Income Planning
- Investment Management
- College Education Planning
- Tax Planning
- Retirees and Near Retirees
- Federal Government Employees
- Business Owners and Executives
- Mid-Career Professionals
- In-Office Meetings
- Virtual Meetings
- Clearly Defined Fees
- No Product Sales
- Complimentary Initial Consultation
Professional Designations & Affiliations
Matthew Brock is a NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is a leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors—highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
Matthew Brock is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional - Click for Verification
CFP® professionals are held to strict ethical standards to ensure financial planning recommendations are in your best interest. What’s more, a CFP® professional must acquire several years of experience related to delivering financial planning services to clients and pass the comprehensive CFP® Certification Exam before they can use the CFP® designation.
Matthew Brock is a member of The Financial Planning Association® (FPA®)
FPA® is the largest membership organization for CFP® professionals in the U.S. and supports high standards of professional competence, ethical conduct, and clear, complete disclosure when serving clients.
Contact Matthew Brock
6701 Democracy Boulevard
Bethesda, MD 20817