CPA, PFS, CFP®
Manuka Financial, LLC
Founder, Financial Planner
CPA, PFS, CFP®
Manuka Financial, LLC
Founder, Financial Planner
We help you retire by providing comprehensive retirement planning, investment management and tax planning for a flat fee. - Michael Powers, CPA, PFS, CFP®
We help you retire by providing comprehensive retirement planning, investment management and tax planning for a flat fee. Located in Richmond, VA, serving clients virtually nationwide.
Michael Powers is a Richmond, VA flat fee-only financial advisor serving clients locally and across the country. Manuka Financial, LLC provides comprehensive retirement planning, investment management and tax planning to help clients transition to retirement. As a flat fee-only, fiduciary, and independent financial advisor, Michael Powers is never paid a commission of any kind, and has a legal obligation to provide unbiased and trustworthy financial advice.
Mike Powers is Founder and Financial Planner at Manuka Financial located in Richmond, VA.
Interested in personal finance and saving from a young age, I had never considered advising others as a career until taking finance courses late in college. I was immediately hooked. After graduation, I began my career with a large national public accounting firm and noticed my colleagues would often ask me for financial advice.
Determined to truly make a difference in people’s lives, I transitioned from public accounting to become a financial planner and have never looked back. Over the last decade, I’ve been fortunate enough to help hundreds of families save for college, invest wisely, plan for retirement, retire with confidence and make sound financial decisions.
Prior to founding Manuka Financial, I left a successful career as Vice President of a prestigious financial planning firm where I helped manage over $900 million for families because I wanted to dedicate my life to my two passions: my family and my clients. Having two young children and seeing how quickly they grow up, I didn’t want to miss out on precious moments with them because I was always at the office. And I didn’t want to serve so many clients that I couldn’t be proactive with each and every one of them. Thus, the idea of Manuka Financial was born to serve as a trusted advisor to a select group of individuals and families while still having time to spend with my own young family.
QUALIFICATIONS, MEMBERSHIPS & AWARDS
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
- Over a decade of experience as a financial planner, plus an additional five years in public accounting for national and regional firms
- Life and Health Insurance Consultant license in Virginia
- 2017 Standing Ovation Award in Personal Financial Planning from the AICPA
- Former Big Brother of the Year for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Virginia
- Board Member, the Community Tax Law Project charitable organization
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) registered advisor
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, XY Planning Network
- Routinely volunteered with Richmond’s NBC 12 “Ask a CPA” Tax Hotline
- Featured in:
- CNBC – “4 tips for saving for retirement, according to a financial planner who helps people retire early”
- CNBC – “If you’re considering retiring early, this CFP has 4 important tips for you”
- Investment News
- The Values Based Mindset Experience podcast
- Choose FI podcast
- Sound Dollar
- Investment News
Michael Powers is a Member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is a leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors - highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
NAPFA members live by three important values:
- To be the beacon for independent, objective financial advice for individuals and families.
- To be the champion of financial services delivered in the public interest.
- To be the standard bearer for the emerging profession of financial planning.
Preparing to retire can be both exciting and nerve-racking at the same time. At Manuka Financial, we help answer your questions and provide guidance on how to make your retirement transition successful. So you can focus on all of the experiences you've been waiting years to enjoy.
- Trustworthy – As a flat fee-only fiduciary, we always act in our client’s best interests.
- Experienced – We’ve spent over a decade helping hundreds of families successfully retire.
- Credentialed – We hold the CPA (Certified Public Accountant), PFS (Personal Financial Specialist), and CFP® (CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™) designations, setting us apart from most other financial advisors.
Fee-Only, Fiduciary, Independent: Three Important Criteria to Consider When Choosing a Financial Advisor.
- Comprehensive Financial Planning
- Tax-efficient Retirement Planning
- Flat Fee Investment Management
- Tax Planning and Preparation
- Individuals looking to retire early
- Retirees and Near Retirees
- Mid to Late-Career Professionals
- DIY Investors
- Virtual Meetings
- Flat Fees
- No Product Sales
- Complimentary Initial Consultation
Professional Designations & Affiliations
Michael Powers is a NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is a leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors—highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
Michael Powers is a Member of the XY Planning Network
The XY Planning Network is the leading organization of fee-only financial advisors who are focused on working with Generation X and Generation Y clients. Our mission is to connect consumers with best-in-class financial advisors who specialize in working with clients just like you.
Michael Powers is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional - Click for Verification
CFP® professionals are held to strict ethical standards to ensure financial planning recommendations are in your best interest. What’s more, a CFP® professional must acquire several years of experience related to delivering financial planning services to clients and pass the comprehensive CFP® Certification Exam before they can use the CFP® designation.
Michael Powers is a Certified Public Accountant (Learn More)
A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is a professional accountant who has met the education and experience requirements set by their state's Board of Accountancy and has passed the Uniform CPA Exam. CPAs are licensed to provide a wide range of accounting services, including financial statement preparation, tax planning and preparation, auditing, consulting, and other financial advisory services.
Michael Powers is a Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
The Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) credential is granted solely to CPAs (Certified Public Accountants) with considerable personal financial planning education and experience. All areas of personal financial planning—including estate, retirement, investments, and insurance—have tax implications, and the PFS professional has the experience, ethics, and expertise to get the job done right.
Michael Powers is Quoted in Reader's Digest: "The Money Secrets of People Who Retire Early"
Michael Powers is Quoted on CNN.com: "Here’s what to do if you have a loss on an investment"
Michael Powers Contributes to Sound Dollar" It’s a Great Time to Buy I Bonds"
Michael Powers Contributes to Sound Dollar: "5 Steps to Early Retirement"
Michael Powers is Quoted on CNBC: "4 tips for saving for retirement, according to a financial planner who helps people retire early"
Michael Powers is Quoted on CNBC: "If you're considering retiring early, this CFP has 4 important tips for you"
Michael Powers is Quoted in InvestmentNews: "The ‘Great Resignation’ is for advisers, too"
Michael Powers is a Featured Guest on The Values Based Mindset Experience Podcast
Michael Powers is Mentioned on the Choose FI Podcast: "The DIY Financial Plan"
Michael Powers is Quoted on Sound Dollar: "What Should Your Retirement Age Be?"
Michael Powers is a Past AICPA Personal Financial Planning Standing Ovation Recipient
Contact Michael Powers
By Appointment and Virtual
Richmond, VA 23221